Thursday, 29 September 2011

thoughts on the canon 5d


I've been shooting with this beautiful piece of kit for about six months now, enough time to get a good feel of what works and what doesn't, enough time (and money) to have built and operated a good rig, monitor, sound gear etc.
First off the camera - a bitch to use for filmmaking because it's not a film camera...nuff said. So what do you do: buy more stuff. In my case I already have an Sony EX3 so I have a decent mic, lights etc, so what did I have to buy? A rig (£1000), a monitor (£1000), Juice box (£400),  follow focus (£350) and lenses - I have the Canon 24-105 f4, the 70-200 f4 and a Sigma 50mm f1.4. What I want...welll that's for another post.
All in all I've spent a good six grand tooling up. The results are. however, impressive. Yes there's been problems with transcoding for editing in FCP, problems with HD downconversions for DVD/SD, problems with noise/twitter/jello and fizzing. But largely there's been lots of beautiful shots. And when it comes down to it thats what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment